Having a robust immune system is vital for overall well-being, especially during a pandemic. But how can we ensure that we are keeping our immune system strong?
Here our nutritionist has shared 10 foods that will help to boost your immunity!
Our immune system is responsible for acting as a barrier and protecting our body’s essential organs from contracting disease-causing bacteria and viruses. During the Covid-19 pandemic, we have learned the critical role that a robust immune system plays in maintaining our body strong and healthy as it becomes familiar with a new virus should we get contaminated.
But how do we ensure that we are looking after our immune system?
Over 70% of the immune system is located in our gut which means that it cannot operate well if we are not feeding ourselves with proper nutrients. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that good nutrition is an essential pillar of a strong immune system and a healthy person.
As we approach the easing of lockdown and life starts to get back to normal, we will be exposed to more people, public transport, and crowded spaces after not having done so for many months. For that reason, it is essential that we are protected and looking after our diets.
Over 2,500 years ago, Hippocrates said: “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”. As advocates of good health and nutrition through food, we wanted to share these top 10 foods you should be including in your daily diet to keep your immunity up.
- Cauliflower- Rich in glutathione, a powerful antioxidant to help fight infections.
- Carrots- Carrots contain vitamins A and C which both act as antioxidants and help to protect our immune cells from free radical damage.
- Sweet potato- one of the highest natural sources of the plant-based compound beta- carotene, which is converted into Vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is crucial for a healthy immune system.
- Olives- not just packed with healthy fats, olives are a powerhouse of phenols, flavonoids, hydroxycinnamic acids, anthocyanins and many other immune-boosting compounds.
- Mushrooms– Mushrooms support a healthy immune response, lower inflammation and improve cell functionality through interaction with the gut microbiota.
- Lentils– loaded with immune-supporting nutrients such as iron, zinc and vitamin B6, which contribute to the creation of lymphocytes, our infection-fighting white blood cells.
- Chickpeas- an excellent source of zinc and copper, the two main minerals potent to the growth and function of immune cells and therefore boosting the immune system.
- Kale– packed with vitamin C, which packs a powerful antioxidant punch and helps fight off infection and regenerate other antioxidants in the body.
- Fennel– the selenium found in fennel is known to stimulate the production of killer T-cells, suggesting it can improve immune response to infection.
- Ginger- ginger has powerful antiviral and antibacterial properties, making it super immune-boosting.
However, consistently keeping up a good diet full of these ingredients can be difficult, do you find that you’re often:
- Short on time?
- Habitually reaching for the same foods?
No problem – we have your back!
We can help enhance and support your immune system with our award-winning catering solutions and ready-made meals. Our food offerings are designed by nutritionists and crafted by chefs using grade 1, sustainably sourced ingredients to ensure that you, and your teams receive the optimum nutrition you need, without compromising on taste or variety.
Each of our meals contains one or more of the top foods listed above to ensure that you feed your gut with the required nutrients.
Visit our website here to learn more, or drop us an email here, and our team will be happy to speak with you about our catering or home delivery solutions, and the best options to suit your requirements.