with broad beans, button mushrooms, cherry tomatoes & optional protein boosters
This beautiful recipe is a wonderful twist on a spaghetti, making a light and nutrient packed dish with and unusual mix of flavour and texture. Add garlicky chicken, Feta cheese or chickpeas for a protein boost.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 extra large courgette (for longer spaghetti)
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- 2 x crushed garlic cloves
- 2 x handfuls of small button mushrooms
- 2 x shallots
- Large handful of broad beans – lightly cooked in water for a few minutes to make skin easy to take off. These add some very light carbohydrates and fibre
- Light Olive oil – if cooking on higher heat.
- Extra virgin olive oil – keep on low heat.
- Oregano herb seasoning: blend 3 parts dried oregano with 1 part sea salt in a blender and a few black pepper corns (or pinch of pink salt)
- Use a julienne peeler to create the courgetti enough for two people. Set aside.
- If adding chicken or chickpeas – place a small amount of light olive oil in a separate pan with crushed garlic and seasoning add sliced chicken or chickpeas and cook thoroughly and put aside to add to the courgetti prior to serving.
- Sauté the shallots, button mushrooms, with the garlic and olive oil on a medium heat, thoroughly cook then add a little water (1-2 desert spoons) along with all the courgetti and cherry tomato halves. Cook for 2-4 minutes and season. Add the the skinless braodbeans right at the end as these can be quite delicate without their skins on. Serve and drizzle with fresh olive oil.
- You can also serve with crumbled feta to add protein.
Crispy garlic & basil flat bread
- Use a flour or gluten free tortilla wrap place in oven on low heat to crisp, then drizzle with olive oil, herbs and fresh garlic. Place in oven on 160 degrees for 10 mins or until crispy.
Health benefits of Courgettes:
- Protects against cancer – eaten regular they can prevent cell mutations.
- Protects against sun damage due to beta-carotene content
- Supports hydration due to water content.