THERE IS NO MISTAKING THE FACT THAT WHAT WE EAT FOR BREAKFAST HAS A HUGE INFLUENCE ON OUR ENERGY LEVELS, MOOD AND PERFORMANCE OVER THE DAY; AND OUR LONG TERM HEALTH.
Making our breakfasts balanced and nutritious is key for sustaining our energy levels and replenishing vitamins and minerals from our night of rest. To do this optimally it is best to get a combination of complex carbs, protein and fats in a healthy way.
When we select refined carbohydrates, sugars and milks we essentially set ourselves up for blood sugar spikes and a rapid fall in energy, causing brain fog, appetite fluctuations and brain fog which can make it difficult to perform well, stay healthy and control our weight.
Additionally, if we only eat protein and fats it’s difficult to get enough energy from our food to help our body start its day on the right foot, especially if we’re not used to a ketogenic focused diet.
Below is a chart of some key foods that we can include in our breakfasts to optimise our mind and body performance over the day and support our long term health. Adding in foods that contain probiotics and pre-biotics is also good as they help support our microbiome, the absorption of nutrients, digestion, energy and our mental health.
At POW we help companies, in London and nationwide celebrate mornings and support their employees starting the day right with delicious breakfast options designed by nutritionists and handcrafted by chefs.
Included below is a favourite banana protein pancake for you to try yourself at home! Made with an organic Gluten Free flour complex, Free Range eggs and bananas, these are high protein, easy and quick to make. They can be frozen or eaten immediately with your choice of toppings.
BANANA PROTEIN PANCAKES recipe
- A source of Vitamin D which helps the absorption of Calcium and Phosphorus, and supports normal immune system functioning.
- A source of Phosphorus which supports bone health and your metabolism
- Low in fat
Makes 7 small pancakes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 150g Doves organic Plain White GF Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Organic egg (or 1 tbsp Chickpea Flour + 2 tbsp water)
- 150ml plant based milk
- 1 medium banana
- Oil, for pan
- Choice of toppings: maple syrup, activated crushed nuts, fresh or frozen berries, coconut yogurt, tahini
- Put the flour and baking powder into a large bowl or jug and stir to combine.
- Break the egg (or add the chickpea flour + water) in the bowl, add the milk and beat to make a smooth batter.
- Mash the banana and add to the mixture
- Put a little oil into a frying pan, roll it around to cover the surface and heat until nice and hot.
- Pour batter into the pan to make 7.5cm circles.
- Cook the pancake on each side for a couple of minutes
- Transfer cooked pancake to a plate and repeat until the batter is used.
- Serve with toppings of your choice